It's been so long since I've been able to breathe normally, I forgot what oxygen feels like. Apparently, it's good for you. Apparently, it's kind of necessary.
I visited the doctor today. I called J yesterday to find out if she thought I should call the doctor and after I coughed for five minutes before I could even ask her, she said it was pretty clear I should. I like to justify everything and I don't call the doctor lightly, so I reluctantly agreed. I kept thinking I would feel better as soon as I called and the whole thing would be for naught.
So I called my doctor who also happens to be a good friend from way back. I think one reason I'm slow to call her is I don't want to take advantage of our friendship and also I don't want her to worry about me. She is very attentive and takes really good care of me. I left a message and before I knew it she had cleared a spot for me today.
I went in and was surprised to find I had a fever. Plus I coughed all through the exam. My biggest concern was that I've been lightheaded and my hands and feet tingle, but my oxygen levels were good. So she gave me a bunch of prescriptions that take care of a bunch of different things and I filled them tonight. On the way home, I used an inhaler for the first time and I was stunned! I had no idea how poorly I've been breathing! The effect was almost instant and for the first time in a long time I could fill my lungs.
The weird thing is she suspects I have a mild case of undiagnosed asthma. I've never looked into that possibility or even had a reason to, but it might make sense. I've always had trouble shaking any illnesses that get into my lungs, but I figured I was just unlucky. Then she told me how she diagnosed her own asthma when she couldn't run over two miles. I told her I've never been able to run over two miles in my life. Now I just live with the fact that I'm done after a mile or a mile and a half. I figured I was just unathletic. She suggested that maybe I'm a touch asthmatic. The funny thing is, my mother and many of my siblings have breathing and allergy issues, but I never applied any of that to me.
Guess we'll find out when I get well and get back on the road. It won't be long now -- now that I've got my meds.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Oxygen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment