Sunday, January 25, 2009

An abundance of snot

We're on day 3 of the g-kids visit. I became slightly overwhelmed today when I wiped a tiny runny nose for the umpteenth time and then saw their dog sneezing and blowing ribbons of snot out of his nose. I can handle a lot....but that was a lot of snot.

Fortunately shortly after the snot incident I got a nap. That felt good and I feel refreshed. But the dog's getting his Benadryl tonight at bedtime.

The weather here has been bitter and we have been housebound. I promised the office I'd bring the kids in tomorrow, which should be a challenge. R will be at work so I won't have any help getting them cleaned up and dressed. Heck, I haven't had myself dressed before 11:00 a.m. since last week! I've also been giving myself a "makeup break" and my hair a "blow dry break" so I really do have to get back on track tomorrow if I'm going to step outside of the house.

My daughter ran her half marathon today. I have no idea how she has been training for it with the two little ones. Major kudos to her and I'm glad it went well. I also have no idea how I managed to have three kids in three years. This is much more work than I remember. Why is that?

You know what I think it is? I think we settle into our little rituals and routines and putting a couple of toddlers in the house drastically changes that, making everything seem like a challenge. I don't mean it's hard to have them around -- to the contrary it's pretty wonderful actually. But it's hard to accomplish my routine everyday tasks that normally I don't even think about. And then when you throw in some weekly tasks that need attention (changing the sheets, laundry, etc.) it becomes crazy trying to figure out how to get it done in among everything else, mostly because I'm so used to doing them uninterrupted.

And now my dogs stink and they need their nails trimmed. Lord knows when we'll get them tidied up but my black pug smells something awful.

Postscript: Today the black pug left a huge amount of unbelievably foul smelling butt juice (she has anal gland issues) on my white sofa. The fawn pug threw up on the floor. So what's the big deal about a little snot? Snot a big deal at all!

No comments: