Monday, February 23, 2009

Antiques Roadshow

We're enjoying our weekly fix of Antiques Roadshow. It's coming from Wichita this week, where I tried to get tickets last summer but was unsuccessful. It's probably just as well because I have no idea what I would bring to be appraised. We own nothing of antique-retail value, or if we do we're too stupid to know it. We love the show though, and complain every week about people who bring in stuff they bought at garage sales that we would have considered too ugly to even pick up. We wouldn't recognize a gem or a bargain if it smacked us in the head.

We also come from families without grand inheritances. Our families were working class people whose valuables were ordinary items with sentimental value but little else. I have a few things from my grandparents and my parents, but I don't own anything I have to separately insure. Not even jewelry.

Being ordinary (or even poor) has its upside. Nothing to lose, nothing to squabble over, no great loss in a theft. The fewer valuables a person has actually imparts greater value to them, don't you think? If I had a chest full of diamonds, I wouldn't treasure one over the other. Since I have only a few things, there is great sentimental value for them, despite the monetary value.

That said, I still think it would be cool to have a nice diamond ring which is funny because I'm not really a ring wearer and I don't have the kind of hands that one wants to show off. And I'm forgetful and tend to lose things. I can't tell you how many single earrings I have. And finally, I'm way too practical and cheap. So I have no idea where the desire for a ring comes from. Probably advertising.

Speaking of advertising, I was watching the Oscars last night and saw a Diet Coke commercial. I haven't had one in months and haven't really missed it. I don't know what the commercial was about, but when it was over I was craving a Diet Coke. I would have had one right then if I had one in the house. I told myself I'd get me one today but then I forgot. It's probably just as well, but my mouth is still watering thinking about it.

I'm such a sucker for marketing.

No comments: