Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Monday

It was Monday all day. No mail, and our office was open despite the official "President's Holiday" which is okay because I'd rather have the week off between Christmas and New Years anyway. I understand that's how it is justified. We also gave up Veteran's Day and maybe something else but I'm not sure because I wasn't in on the vote.

We had a great weekend although I have tons yet to do. We began by celebrating the 2nd birthday of our beautiful granddaughter on Friday. What a delight. The little ones came home with us and were with us on Saturday. The weather cooperated and they enjoyed the outdoors on this visit. Lots of laughter and playing which makes a house feel young.

Sunday we replaced faucet parts in our kitchen faucet. When we bought it about six and a half years ago, we spent some bucks and bought a Kohler with a lifetime warranty. Good thing because we've had to replace the parts that keep it from dripping and leaking three times so far, probably due in great part to the ridiculously hard water in our area. We're also on our second sprayer. We just call the 800 number, tell them what it's doing, and we get new parts. It's working remarkably well now. The bad news is that we also discovered a leak in the garbage disposal that we installed at the same time as the faucet. I pulled the warranty info on it (I'm predictably very good at saving that stuff) and found that it was out of warranty after four years. Dang. Now we need to get a new garbage disposal or else figure out how to fix it. I put a small cup under the leak to catch the water that drips. Sigh.............

We looked at houses on Sunday too and found a very good possibility for us. However, with a leaking garbage disposal, a couple of windows that need repair or replacement, three closets that need painting (at least), a bathroom that needs a gut job, and a basement that should only be viewed in complete darkness, I'm discouraged at the thought of selling our home. So I'm at a standstill. I should be motivated to complete some of these tasks, but I'm too busy otherwise to do anything about it. I've got taxes to prepare for several people (including us) and it's going to take a while to get through them. I'm also suspecting we'll owe a bunch so there goes any money we would have for home repair/update/improvement.

We also went to the annual Lawn and Garden Show on Sunday. It was a nice respite from winter browns. I salivated over the orchids (did not buy one) but I am proud to report that mine has a stalk on it and should bloom soon. This is the same one I purchased last year and I've kept it alive since then. Yes, I am awesome. It's the loveliest color you can imagine (when it blooms) -- kind of a soft yellow/green with just a hint of pink. I can't wait to see it again.

So tonight I'm chilling out, watching Antiques Roadshow and HGTV stuff, not going up to my office. I'll force myself to go up tomorrow night, okay?

No comments: