I was boiling mad today at work. Guess who I was mad at? Of course. The boss.
Last week for some unknown reason he thought he would try to run a process that hasn't been run for a long time. In fact, he'd never run it in the 14 months he's been there. He'd been wanting to do it for a while but I'm not sure why or what the delay was. Anyway, he ran it on Friday and basically unapplied all payments on a couple of thousand students' accounts. This left them with payments that were trying to refund because they weren't applied to charges. And the process that reapplies the payments to the charges wouldn't work on them.
The timing was unfortunate because I had to run the refunding processes tonight. It left me with an enormous list of names to go through, one by one, to reapply the payments by hand. I figured out a way to sort through the list and pull out the ones who actually should get refunds. Then I had to figure out how to have only those run.
The reason I was so mad is that my boss made this mess, and then left me to clean it up. He asked me how he could help and I told him he could run the refunds tonight. He said no, and besides he was going to be doing them on Wednesday when I take a day of vacation. I may be taking this the wrong way, but he basically told me he wouldn't fix his own mistakes because he was going to have to cover for me when I take a day off. Grrrr!
If I made a mistake of the magnitude that he did, I would be working my tail off to clean it up. Where is his sense of responsibility?
Deep breath. Exhale.
But there is one thing I enjoy about this situation. It is becoming abundantly clear to me and to my coworkers that I am smarter than him. I think he knows it too but would never admit it. I don't care whether he admits it or not, it's no less true. And I think we also know that had I left him to clean it up, he would have messed it up further. I'm not just being raggy, it's true.
I need to end this on an up note. We saw our youngest grandson this weekend and enjoyed the visit so much. He is a darling little guy and it's fun to watch his parents with him. I also went shopping and found several things to wear to work this summer. I'm pumped about that.
Now if I just don't get fired for being a smart ass.....
Monday, April 27, 2009
Boiling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment