I went for a facial today with two girlfriends. It was a birthday gift for one of them so we made it a date and then had lunch together afterward. Here is my take on the facial: it was okay but nothing extraordinary happened. My skin felt soft when it was over but I'm naturally oily anyway so softness isn't something I lack. We had a paraffin wax treatment and it was pretty dang hot going on but was still pretty cool to have done. The wax bits that remained when we were finished were a little annoying and we came back to my house to wash off the remnants and put on some makeup before we went out for an early lunch. It was fun but not something I'll need again.
I've never been good at partaking in the girly-girl stuff. I've had exactly two manicures in my life, both done with girlfriends in tow, and I can't IMAGINE having it done by myself. I would feel too silly and self-conscious. I can barely sit still at the hairdresser's, which probably explains why I don't color my hair. I don't even like for them to dry and style it. Just get in, get out and let me fix it myself. I don't polish my fingernails except on rare occasions with clear or very pale polish. I do polish my toenails with a lovely color in the summer, when my feet show, because they look so much better polished. The only reason that works is because toenail polish can stay on for a couple of weeks with no chipping.
My sister has two girls and she's all about shopping, hair, and purses. I'd rather spend an hour in a hardware store than at the mall and that's the gospel truth. I LOVE hardware stores. I had six brothers and five of them were older than me. I don't think I learned the girly-girl stuff because I had no teacher. My sister is the baby of the family, and as if often the case, her role was to be the opposite of her closest same-sex older sibling (me). Having daughters just enhanced the girliness she already possessed.
I used to say my parents were really wanting a girl and they ended up with me. I wasn't a tomboy, but I wasn't a princess. My brothers did not suffer foolish girl ways lightly, and my early attempts at makeup and nail polish were met with jokes and sarcasm. I abandoned the frilly stuff early on and never went back. I hope I haven't missed anything, but I really enjoy not having to worry about that kind of stuff.
It might have been different if I had three girls instead of one girl and two boys, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Treat
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment