Today was a day at work where I wanted to punch out someone. That someone would be about 6'4" and probably has 70 pounds on me, but I'm wicked when I'm pissed. I know I could take him.
Before I get into that, I need to report that R's sister is recovered and should be okay. She's got to do some healing (physical and mental) but we are hopeful. She was glad R went to see her when she needed it.
Today there was a kerfluffle about some classes that are being offered through the continuing ed department. A couple of months ago I had attended a meeting, at the request of my boss, about how they will be billed, etc., because the classes are being taught through a couple of school districts. He was invited to the meeting but decided I should go since our office would need to provide information on billing.
When some of the other departments found out about the classes via a newspaper article they were up in arms about how they were put together. My boss' defense to HIS boss was that he sent me to the meeting and figured I would be able to "handle it." The confusion and questions had nothing to do with my reason for being at the meeting but the problems may have been addressed earlier if my boss hadn't passed off his responsibility to me. There is no way I would have known to ask the questions they are asking now, but he covered his base by saying he had expected me to take care of it. Then he further complained about how poorly the other department handled the situation.
I told him I felt he had no reason to complain since he was invited to the earlier meeting and passed along his responsibility to me, while telling me all I had to do was address the billing. I had no way of knowing if earlier meetings had covered other details, and I stuck to what I was told to address. He agreed it was his fault for not going to the meeting but I would bet my last dollar he won't relay that information to his boss.
I believe I had smoke coming out of my ears. And my lack of a poker face didn't help. I believe I scared him and he ended up leaving work early. Perhaps he left to see if he can locate a new, less threatening accountant for our office. Maybe one who could not kick his ass.
I composed an e-mail explaining things to his boss but didn't send it. Yet. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'll keep you posted on whether or not I remain employed.
His favorite line when he complains about students is "Ignorance is not an excuse." It may not be an excuse, but when it comes to his way of doing things, "Ignorance is to be expected."
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Ignorance is not bliss (for me)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment