Busy week but now a four-day weekend for me. Time to regroup, settle down, breathe slowly, chill, relax, and maybe sleep. Sounds like a plan.
Don't you think it's kind of dumb that the only time we truly enjoy ourselves is when we have time away from work? What is it about work that is so unenjoyable? Let's see.....only everything!
Truthfully, work has been going better since I told them I'm job hunting. Should have mentioned it years ago. Now I just need to job hunt so I'm not lying. Actually, I am looking, just not finding.
We met friends for supper and cheap margaritas tonight. I restrained myself from over indulging because I felt like crap the last time I did that. Then when we got home we decided to go for a walk around the nearby university. It's about a 2 mile perimeter so it was a good walk on a lovely evening. Figured I'd head the alcohol in my system off at the pass.
I haven't slept well this week at all. I think I've had a busy mind because we've had a busy schedule. Sometimes when I have things on the agenda, I lay awake figuring out when I need to leave, what I need to wear, and tons of other ridiculous stupid stuff. Last night, I lay awake repeating the unusual names of two reporters I've heard of. The first, on NBC, is Hoda Kotb. I may have that spelled wrong, but her name is so unusual it sticks in my brain. The second is on NPR and I haven't seen her name spelled so this is a guess: Neda Ulaby. Okay, it's not a guess, I just looked it up. Now I'll probably fixate on it all night again because in looking it up I also have a picture and a little bio to go with it. The weirdest part? She grew up in the midwest and once worked for an area newspaper. And I really didn't know that, but something made her name stick in my head.
What a strange coincidence. I think brain cells are smarter than we are. Maybe on some level my brain knew that and began working her name back into my consciousness for a reason. I think there will be another, final event that will bring the knowledge of her name full circle and explain why it caught my attention in the first place. I'll let you know when it happens.
Can't remember if I ever wrote about this, but I'm good with dates. It's not unusual for me to remember birthdates for people. I have a lot of people in my life, friends, tons of family and inlaws, and I know their birthdates. For many I know their birth years too. I thought everyone could do that but R proved otherwise. He's terrible with months, dates, years, the whole ball of wax. After many years, he learned my birthday but that's about it. Somehow, when I meet someone and learn their birthday, I mentally calendar it. They then become an "October 20" on a calendar page in my brain that also becomes a 10/20 (perhaps in a mental tickler file). I can almost always remember the month, and am usually on the mark with the date or at least within a day or two.
But faces or names? I suck, especially when outside of the context where I know them. Guess I'm more numbers fixated. And who is good with faces and names? My husband of course.
Oh well, it's getting late and I'm pooped. I plan on sleeping tonight.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Exhale
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment