Yesterday we dumped everything in the fridge and freezer that had expired. Mostly it was condiments and sauces, but it's amazing how long some of those had been in there. We were making up a grocery list, so we added things we needed to replace. I think there was only one thing we added which shows how our eating style has changed since the kids left home.
It used to be there was no room in the fridge. Now I think we could manage with an apartment-sized model. We go to the store once a week, buying just a gallon of milk (as opposed to the five gallons we used to buy) and whatever else we need for our week's menus. We purchase and then use up what we purchase. We eat more fresh things now and keep only a few things on hand in the freezer. We almost always have things on hand for a quick salad or some other easy fix dinner when we stray from our planned menus.
When the kids were little I tried to cook well-balanced meals each night. We couldn't afford to go out much and it was really much cheaper to eat at home. Now, we still cook at least 5 nights a week but it's a lighter, easier fare. Lots of grilled stuff, roasted stuff, salads, and easy things. We also keep a few frozen entrees on hand for really quick meals. R and I share cooking duties too, probably about 50% me, 30% him (20% out) which is still much better than it used to be when it was about 90% me.
I love my kids but I must admit I really like not having to cook for them each night now. I also think I get to eat better and with more variety because I don't have to please so many tastes. The downside is I don't get to bake like I used to because I don't have anyone here but us to eat it. And R can have one cookie and feel satisfied. That leaves the remaining 4 dozen for me to finish.
Dang. Now I want a cookie. I think I'll make some no-bakes.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Clean fridge
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment