Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fall

It warmed up again this week, but I had already switched to fall mode so I've been overdressed. Crickets have been making their way into my house, chirping up the basement and conking out on my living room floor where I find them with their crooked little feet in the air. It also feels like a fly gets in nearly every time we open the door. Do they know it's going to get cooler?

Leaves are beginning to drop from some of our trees, and we've spread a little seed on the yard along with a little fertilizer. I've had an urge to bake something with cinnamon and brown sugar in it. Yep, it's fall. Autumn is a much prettier, more poetic word for the season, but I'm not accustomed to using it. It's just fall around here.

I did make a pan of cinnamon rolls this morning to take to my mother's. My family was in for a visit and a pot luck and I brought the rolls. Cinnamon rolls are not for summer. They are for the other three seasons. When it gets a little cooler, I think I'll make some ginger snaps. They go well with hot tea or hot chocolate, and we're not quite to the hot chocolate weather yet. They make the house smell good too. If I ever put my house on the market, I'll need to make a pan of cinnamon rolls before the open house. I could probably raise my price by $20,000 if I do that.

At the potluck today we had ribs, chicken wings, baked beans, cole slaw, several other sides and a couple of desserts. It was yum. When I left I came home and took a nap while R went to a football game. The nap was heaven and who doesn't nap better on a full stomach?

Not much else. Just food and weather and a good nap today. TGIF (thank God it's fall)!

No comments: