Thursday, September 25, 2008

Zip it

I didn't really say anything but I got pulled into a conversation today at work about......politics! I KNOW not to talk about it with people at work and I KNOW it always ends badly, but there are a couple of co-workers there who have similar political views and we've had quiet little conversations about the ridiculous choice McCain made in his running mate. Anyhoo, we were having a quiet little conversation today but a nearby co-worker asked what we were talking about and then before we knew it, there was controversy.

I've been there for seven weeks. That's an amazingly long time for me to keep my trap shut, possibly a record.

I said I didn't really say anything, but I probably said enough. From now on, I'm going to STFU (see earlier post http://halfwaythereyet.blogspot.com/2008/08/wrap-it-up.html for an explanation).

I have a friend who is seriously Democrat but who used to be a lobbyist and can work both sides of the aisle. I've always admired that about her.

Okay, what else. I had a really busy day at work, and got yelled at by yet another student unhappy with our office (second one this week -- look for my name in the paper because they both threatened it). I'm actually handling it surprisingly well. Who knew? I've kept my cool and am just responding to their questions and accusations with the facts. I haven't even told them that both of their problems originated with other employees in our office because that would just seem like I'm making excuses for myself and pointing the finger at someone else. I think that's darn magnanimous of me.

Today's student was yelling so loud I had to hold the phone away from my ear. I finally asked her to tone it down a little so we could discuss it and she did.....for a little while.

I'm going to have to rethink how I behave when I'm calling places with complaints. Now that I take complaints, I see what an art it is to listen and not get wrapped up in the moment. I'm still working on it, but diffusing the situation is more of a challenge than carrying on the argument with counter arguments.

That should just about do it for now. When I got home tonight, I had another mess to unravel at the old job. I like my replacement as a person, but her skills are lacking for the position she has. Again, I'm having to try and be constructive rather than critical, and I think I'm managing, (although that's a subjective observation). Besides, her mistakes are money in my pocket for the time I have to put in to fix them.

Gotta go rest my eyes.

No comments: