Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Interview

I got a call today and I have an interview next week for the other job.  I then had to tell my boss about it, because it's kind of hard to hide the fact you're away from your desk for an entire morning (the interview is from 8:30 to 11:30) but remain in the same building.  Weird thing -- he didn't react the way I thought he would.  I have been unable to put my finger on it, but it was not as if he expected to hear it yet he did not appear to be caught off guard. 

Then he told  me he had noticed I had ordered transcripts which is just weird.  True, I ordered transcripts to submit with my resume but there was nothing to alert him to that unless he got into my account and checked.  I walked down to our Registrar's office and paid cash, so my name wouldn't appear on a check he was depositing.  Now why would he be checking my account?

He also told me he had shared the fact I had ordered a transcript with his boss.  Surely that's some sort of violation isn't it?  Probably not, but it's still weird.

In the course of our conversation he pointed out that I'd be making a basically lateral move.  I told him no, it wasn't really.  He said the pay must be about the same, and I said no, it was considerably higher plus if I understood the description there would be some supervisory duties.  He then lamented the fact that the department where I'm interviewing has higher pay grades than him for the same level of responsibility (I was wondering how he would make the conversation about him).  I don't know what delusional ship he's been sailing, but his level of responsibility is not that high.  And his level of personal responsibility is non-existent.

Finally he told me that he expected the other department would work with our department and allow me to transition to the position which I took to mean "work both jobs" until my replacement gets up to speed.  I do believe he has no idea just how thoroughly he's pissed them off, and I'm guessing they'll tell him to take a flying leap but I could certainly be wrong about that. 

But here we go and now we just have to hang on and see what happens.  Yikes!

No comments: