I have my interview on Thursday morning. It's a three-hour interview and I'll meet with the staff of the Financial Aid office, the search committee, the director, and the director of enrollment. I'm beginning to get nervous but I'd just like to get it done. I looked for a new suit today but couldn't find anything I liked. I ended up just re-hemming one I bought a year ago that I had shortened in a hurry and never been totally satisfied with. The reason I hadn't done it properly is because today it took me an entire afternoon to shorten the sleeves and pants legs because it is fully lined. Now it looks pretty good and I made the pants a length that works with some lower heels I have that are way more comfortable and easier to walk in.
The word of my interview broke to the financial aid office last week. If nothing else happens, their response to the news was heartwarming. I had a couple of phone calls, I had one come down to see me and "go for a walk" so we could talk outside of the office. I had two of them stop by: one to check me out (I think I passed) and the other to tell me she was thrilled. I don't know if my office knows yet (other than my boss and a close friend) but word spreads quickly in a university so if they don't I imagine it's just a matter of time. Since my interviews will take place in the conference room RIGHT NEXT TO our office, I don't expect to keep it quiet any longer. Especially when I show up that day in a suit with newly adjusted hems.
I'm funny about interviews. I don't usually prepare unless you call making an effort to be myself, be honest, and pay attention a form of preparation. I usually interview well, but it's usually with one or two or three people, not an entire staff. I always try to look my best so I don't get self conscious, but this week my 53-year-old skin has decided to behave like I'm 13 and break out. Figures. I'm just going to have to hope all is well by Thursday but truth is I'm a slow healer (thank heavens for concealer). I do plan on reviewing the names of the FA office staff so I'm not fumbling for them, although I imagine I'm the only candidate who should know them. I'm absolutely horrible with names and faces, especially when there is more than one person who is blond in the 35 to 40 age range or something like that. I believe I'm actually mentally deficient in that area. At my job at the law firm, I was introduced on the same day to three attorneys who were in their mid 30's who were all brunette and wearing suits. It took me a week to get them straight. R can meet a person once and remember them for life. I would struggle to place them later that same afternoon.
Guess I'll close and check laundry. Then I think a hot bath is in order. I'll keep you posted.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Crunch time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment