Friday, January 25, 2008

Half Way Where

I originally began this blog as a sort of life plan inspiration and outline since I was reaching the milestone birthday of 50. I was going to come up with plans and ideas on living the second half of my life, since my genetics and overall good health indicate I could reasonably be just half way through my alloted time here on earth. Quickly though, the blog became more than that for me, an online diary that feels anonymous but I know isn't. A way to vent when things piss me off and a way to document when things go well. Who knew? I really had no idea how much I would enjoy it.

But this morning I thought I should step back a bit to my original plan, which was figuring out how I was going to manage the next 50 years. (That's why I say that "Life's a journey and sometimes you need a map.") I have made a couple of recent improvements that I wanted to note because by noting them I am acknowledging to myself that I am on track and do have some sort of goal or plan in mind. Then I can get back to dishing on the staff at work.

When raises were given out at work to take effect January 1, I was excited for the pay bump but forced myself to use part of it to add more to my 401(k) each check. It would be so easy to ignore that and pocket the difference twice a month, but I'm really trying to pay attention to retirement. After all, I have only about 16 years to build up enough of a fund to live on for the remaining 34 years of my life (figuring I make it to 100). R's self-employment income is woefully inconsistent which makes regular contributions to his own plan difficult. We do what we can and always try to do something each year, but it's clear that we need more than that can offer. My office, while I complain about it a lot, offers a stellar retirement plan that they consistently maximize contribution-wise. And I'd be a fool not to take advantage. And 50 is too old to be foolish.

We have been making plans and have even set some money aside for some small trips this year. R and I often neglect our own fun, busy as we are with his work, our family, and our never-ending supply of home improvement projects that are part and parcel of owning a house of this age. We made a list of day or weekend trips that we can take and by gosh we're just going to do it. We know we're limited to weekends for the most part, but even if we only do two or three a year, that's two or three more than we usually do. We're not travel junkies, but we do have a good time together when we're on the road, doing something different. We're really looking forward to it. It helps us to have a list because we'll have something to refer to when the opportunity arises. We're lame at coming up with spur of the moment ideas. I guess this is our plan for spontaneity which is kind of ridiculous but whatever works.

We're also making some plans for the garden this year. We've let it go the past few years and have just done what needs to be done, which has left us with kind of a mess. We're going to revamp the perennials and landscaping a little, removing what doesn't work and reorganizing what does. Our ideal evening is sitting on the deck and enjoying the back yard, and that's more fun when it looks nice. Gardening will be something we can do together or I can do when the mood strikes me. And it's not bad exercise.

I'm going to continue my running as soon as the roads are clear. Really I am. I enjoy how it makes me feel and I'm not ready to give that up. R has a treadmill test in February and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts his own exercise / running program after that. But even if he doesn't, I need to keep up my own. And of course I'll be walking 5 days a week until the day I can't walk at all.

So that's about it for now. I've also tried to pay attention to thinking good thoughts, remembering karma, thanking the powers that be for my blessings and requesting help for those who need some. I can still do better in that regard, but it's an improvement and takes me out of myself for a little bit, focusing on others and their lives and problems. It reminds me it's not all about me. That's probably one of the most important things to learn, even at the ripe old age of 50.

No comments: