Sunday, November 2, 2008

Crawling out from under

.....the bus. I forgot to mention how the whole being thrown under the bus thing worked out. The shrieking student who actually hurt my eardrum with her tirade contacted the high-up mucky mucks and lied through her teeth. All I knew at the end of that day was that my boss got an e-mail from his boss that her account had been cleared. It was a very small amount, actually, but my boss was upset that her behavior had gotten results.

The next day, the picture became clearer (or cloudier). She had told the powers that be that she had spoken with my boss, not me, and that he had been abusive to her. That was patently false, and he told his boss that I could back him up on that. He told him that I was the only one that spoke with her and that I behaved very professionally. So there!

The whole situation was just nuts. It was not my first time speaking with the lovely lady, and I'm thinking my boss had visited with her once before as well, but nowhere in any of that did anyone behave badly on our end. But I will say that she ended up owing the university money because a refund had been erroneously generated to her account after a drop/add timing issue and it was a direct deposited into an account she was closing (it was overdrawn). She was pissed the money was direct deposited instead of sent as a check and then she was pissed that she owed it back. One of those things that was better off going away anyway.

So somehow the final chapter there made me feel better. I was worried when I heard the big boss had written off her account because I couldn't imagine what she told him about me. Turns out it wasn't about me at all, so there was no worry there except for the general craziness.

Cool thing number two: the auditors were finishing up on Friday and had my boss running for receipts and proof and all of those little things that auditors want. He couldn't find a credit card receipt from 5 months ago and had a couple of people helping him look. I could tell it was bugging him (it doesn't look good to be unable to find stuff the auditors want) so I asked if I could help. I began to go through the folders that he gave me when I noticed that they were all from 2007 and we needed 2008. I went to him, we got the right folder, and there it was, ready and waiting. It made him look good, and it didn't hurt my rep either.

Okay, there has been entirely too much written about work in this blog. I'm not sure what I should do about it, but sometimes it helps to vent at the end of the day. Especially when I've been vindicated! Ha!

No comments: