I took a tumble today that was hilarious-looking as long as I don't consider the long term consequences or possible causes. I was putting some towels on the stairs to take up later when I stepped off of what I thought was one step but it was really two. In your mind you know when a foot should hit a stair even if you're not looking at it, and my foot didn't hit a stair but kept going down, pitching me forward. I thought I had caught myself when I bumped into the hallway wall, but continued to go headfirst, trying to get my feet to catch up. I ended up about ten feet away, sprawled in the doorway to the TV room. On the way down I smashed my wrist, wrenched my back, and banged both knees while I ricocheted around our hallway. I lay there for a while, taking stock to try to figure out if I broke anything, until the pugs came by to sniff my face. Lassie would have gone for help. Pugs just kill you with their breath.
As I lay in the doorway I saw R just outside the living room window with a ladder up against the gutters on the vestibule. He was cleaning out leaves. I called for help, but of course he couldn't hear me. And God knows the pugs are worthless as rescue dogs. I pulled myself up and limped onto the porch to tell him to come in because I fell down the stairs. He came down immediately, concerned I fell down the basement stairs where I would have hit concrete, so it was a little anticlimactic when I had to tell him it was only one stair and I landed on carpet (mostly). He was really sweet though and we checked for broken things and I appear to be okay. I took a hot shower and a couple of ibuprophen and although I ache everywhere except my feet (the only body part I didn't land on), I'm fine.
I've never broken a bone in my life. After I fell, I began to wonder about my calcium intake. So I had a White Russian and extra mozzarella on my pizza. Preventative medicine at its best! I do have a doctor appointment in December and since I've never had a bone scan, I'm guessing I'll get one. I think it's time, isn't it?
Okay, enough old ladyishness for now. I don't think I even got a decent bruise out of it.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Fall (not autumn)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment