Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Feelin' guilty

I met with the interviewer again today as he sent me a formal application and had me turn it in. He wanted to go over the VERY DETAILED application before he meets with the big guy and sets up a time for me to interview with both of them.

Then I went to work and felt guilty about being so close to moving on. The place is in a personnel mess right now, and I feel sorry for my boss(es). But they know I'm moving on and even know I interviewed with the interviewer, so they won't be surprised -- just disappointed that it's really happening. I may get mad at people at work, but it never makes me feel better to make people feel bad. I think the firm will be okay, no one is irreplaceable, but it's going to be nuts. I've been working on pages of instructions for whoever they find to replace my irreplaceable self.

I asked the BB if he wanted me to put an ad for my job in the paper yet, and he said no. It probably would have been a good idea, but the truth is the entire staff isn't aware of my plans yet.

I've been practicing (well, today anyway) readjusting my internal schedule so I can be at a job an hour earlier. That's a big deal for me because I've been working part time since I returned to work after the kids were in school. And part time just doesn't mean 8:00 to 5:00. My current hours are 9:00 to 5:00 M-Th, so moving to 8:00 to 5:00 or 5:30, M-F will be interesting.

Here is my morning as it has been for lo these many years:
Wake up at 5:58
Make the bed
Dress for walk
Leave house at 6:10
Walk until 6:55
Turn on Morning Edition
(In winter, fix myself a cup of hot tea)
Feed dogs and cats, water plants on deck (in summer) and possibly put away dishes from the night before
Kiss R goodbye as he leaves for work
Get my clothes ready for work
Make up a deposit for the shop
Take my shower
Partially dry my hair (so it will dry all the way before work)
Fix my breakfast
Read the paper while I eat, enjoying it until 8:00
At 8:00, go put on makeup and finish styling/drying hair
Leave house around 8:25 or 8:30
Go to bank -- make deposit for shop
Occasionally go to post office or cleaners
Drive to work -- arrive at 8:45 or as late as 9:00

This morning, I got up at 5:30, ate breakfast and read the paper before my walk so I could just shower and dress after my walk. I had to be at the interviewer's by 8:00 and made it no problemo. I'm usually awake at 5:30 anyway, but I'm a schedule person (see the above ridiculously anal list) so I think I can shuffle a little and make it work. R called the bank today to see how we can make our deposits outside of banking hours, and the solution will be a simple envelope in the night drop -- not even a zipper bag that we have to retrieve. I guess that says something about how small our deposits are! It would help if I got my clothes and the deposit ready the night before, but that's true no matter what my hours are.

Okay, Anal Annie, it's time to wrap it up and maybe find something to wear tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I know what you mean about feeling guilty, but everyone you work with knows that you have to do what's right for you (they would after all). Change is good!