Sunday, July 6, 2008

Good stuff

My interview on Thursday went well. I loved the guy doing the interview, who runs a consulting firm handling human resources for other companies. I'd have worked for him in a heartbeat. He told me about the firm in the construction field that is looking for someone and he was up front about the position and it's positives and negatives. I told him I'm looking at making more money than I am now, even considering the extra hours, and he seemed amenable. Looks like I'd be at the top of their scale, but if I didn't ask, I wouldn't get.

His big concern was if I could handle occasional profanity in the office. I assured him as long as I was free to join in when necessary (or not necessary), I wouldn't have a problem. I measured and the company is two miles closer to my house than my current job, so that's 8 miles a day since I like to come home for lunch. However, since I'd be working Fridays, it would net to a 22 miles a week savings. Just under a gallon of gas, so not huge, but wear and tear on the car adds up too.

We went to see the new grandson on Saturday and the other grandkids and parents joined us. It was a blast and it's fun to see the different ages. The baby is very sweet and very cute, and the other two are a laugh riot.

After we left we went to a small town nearby for a stroll in a quaint downtown shopping area. Lots of hills and steps and sweet little shops. We ate ice cream cones on the top of a hill in the clubhouse patio area of a miniature golf course. Who in the heck would have put a miniature golf course on the side of this crazy hill? I couldn't even imagine how they got the rocks laid and concrete poured for the hundreds of steps we climbed. We found a cute little science shop on the top of another hill that had fossils, dinosaur bones, petrified poop, and stuff like that. I love ammonite and I found a really pretty specimen. Bought it. It's actually two halves so you can see the interior of the fossilized shell. It's awesome. I have another one that's been polished but it's just a kind of peeled away exterior. They're so cool to look at.

R bought an arrowhead. He said he always wanted one as a kid, wanted to find one, but never did. I know he got it so he could show our grandkids. You tend to relive childhood a bit when you have grandkids to share with.

We got home today, and are pooped. Back to work tomorrow, and I should hear soon on scheduling a second interview. Life goes on, even for millions of years old fossilized marine animals, polished and sitting in my early 20th century home.

No comments: