I took our fawn pug to the vet yesterday and had some not so good news. I'd been concerned because his scrotum seemed swollen which is odd because he's been neutered. The vet (a new one in the office) was concerned and asked me if he only had one testicle. I told her he shouldn't have any because he was neutered probably seven years ago. She asked if they had removed only one testicle because maybe one was undescended. I told her I didn't know, but the surgery was done there.
They did some blood work to make sure he's okay for surgery and he'll go in on Wednesday for a removal of whatever the heck it is. She said it would be sent out to be checked, so there's already a pretty hefty vet bill involved there. R and I had to have "the conversation" about what we'll do if the news isn't good. The decision is to see what they say first, hope our options are reasonable, and understand that we're not pursuing anything extraordinary (chemo or radiation for example) if it is suggested.
The good news is he appears to be in pretty good shape. Right as I typed that he threw up again, so hmmm. She asked if his bowel or urinary habits had changed, and I told her no. She asked if he's eating okay and I told her yes. I told her he may have been throwing up this week but we thought it was due to the heat. Now, after three or four days, I'm not so sure.
She also gave him a "senior" blood workup. I was shocked. He's 8 years old, but I never thought of him as a senior. I think I need a pet reality check.
Speaking of pet reality checks, we're looking at getting a canary. We actually bought a cage today but I'm going to take it back because I've seen better designs for the food and water cups (less messy ones). Maybe I need a head examination while I'm at it.
I think the best thing to do right now is nothing.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Pet problems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment