I got the call today that I got the job at the local university! That means only about three more weeks of tolerating the intolerables! Woo-de-freakin'-hoo!
Here's what I did. I interviewed and applied several places. Most were in the pay range I felt I could live with. No matter where I ended up, it would be an increase due to the fact that I'd be working full time as opposed to just under 3/4 time. The university job actually had the lowest pay of everywhere I went but provided the best benefits by far. Big plus: it's less than 5 minutes from my house. I'm going to buy a bike and ride to work when I can, but I could also walk if I want. Awesome! Good for me AND green!
Tomorrow I'm going to call the other places that have me on the short list so they can look harder at other candidates. I told my boss today and he was happy for me. I'm not sure if he is happy to get rid of me or genuinely happy for me, but I'll take it either way. It probably will make his job easier if he doesn't have the conscience angel (me) sitting on his shoulder all the time telling him to do the right thing and what exactly the right thing is that he needs to do. Not that he's a bad guy or a liar or anything, he just makes some questionable management decisions where certain employees are involved. Oh well, la-dee-da, not my problem any longer!
I found out the day before my interview at the university that an old friend works there, in my department. It will be nice to know someone right off the bat.
We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate. R suggested Red Robin because who doesn't love the bottomless basket of fries? After I'd eaten about seven pounds of fried potatoes (no exaggeration -- it was a celebration), I remembered I was going to run in and have my cholesterol checked first thing tomorrow morning. Hmm. Guess that will have to wait. I'd hate to have to go on medication just because I overindulged once in the past six weeks. I don't know if that's really how cholesterol works in the system, but I'm not taking that chance.
I'm excited about the change and excited to learn more about the position. It was really the only job I interviewed for that I hoped, hoped, hoped I would get. I had to talk myself into liking the other potential positions (the pay difference being the only real perk) but I think the benefits and intangibles on this one are far more important.
Okay, enough for now. I've got lots to do tomorrow so I can have things caught up around here. Ta!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Woo hoo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congratulations! That sounds awesome. I would soooo love to work 5 minutes from home!
Post a Comment