Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bad day for bosses

I probably said the wrong thing when my boss said in a meeting this morning that we'll have a lot of angry students in the spring regarding some new policy or another, and we'll probably need to have Sonic day every day. For the record, we have Sonic day when we're working our tails off, we need a little lift, and someone heads to Sonic and gets everyone drinks. So he was saying that the spring term may be stressful, and I spouted up, "Sonic Day? I think we'll need margarita day every day! Ha Ha Ha!!"

Silence. The kind of silence you get when you've just said something incredibly stupid that everyone but you knows is stupid but that you thought was funny. After a moment to absorb the stupidity, my boss changed the subject.

Should I have explained what a margarita is? Would that have helped the joke land? Um....no.

The cashiers got it and were smiling to themselves. Later on, when my boss (for reasons still unknown) deleted the template for the spreadsheet I had worked on for two days, I reconstructed it, regrouped and then went to one of the cashiers. She always laughs at my jokes and gets me, so I went to her and said quietly, "For the record, it's a margarita morning. It's NOT a Sonic morning." She laughed and the other cashier who was sitting nearby laughed and then they told me that they didn't think the boss thought that was very funny but it could be because they had heard he is a recovering alcoholic. But THEY thought it was funny (I know -- they're an easy audience -- that's why I like them). They weren't sure about his history though, and you can imagine how easy it is to start rumors in a place like this, so I'm taking it with a good dose of skepticism.

And you know what's dumb? I still think it was funny -- not side-splitting or anything but still good for lightening the mood at an early morning meeting. I've been around alcoholics and have a few in my family and a whole slew in R's family. I guarantee they would all think it was funny. But I'm not judging because you just never know how hard it is or if it's even true. He might also be a serious teetotaler. THAT sounds very plausible.

Every day I find a new way to put my foot in it. With my mouth. HI-larious!

No comments: