This is what a crappy person I am. I had an e-mail today from a friend's sister. My friend is turning 50 and there is a surprise party for her tomorrow night. I have been racking my feeble brain (I AM over a year older than her, so perhaps that accounts for the feebleness) to come up with a good gift, but all I can come up with is the exact same thing she gave me. I have no originality. But I know a good idea when I experience one, so I got a card to use to tell her I'll take her for a mani-pedi and I even thought to add a lunch out to the package. Oh wait. I think she bought me breakfast before she took me for my mani-pedi. Oh well.
So I get this e-mail from her sister, and she says she wants to make sure my friend has a tiara to wear at her party but thought she'd better check with me first because she figured if anyone was going to get her one, it would be me. Well, it WOULD be me if I was one of those thoughtful people who remembered she gave me a tiara for my 50th party. But I didn't want to let her sister know how thoughtless and forgetful I am, so I e-mailed her back and told her that picking up a tiara was on my to-do list for the evening. Then I actually created a to-do list, put it on it, and ran out to get a tiara.
What a thoughtless pig I am. And now I'll be looking like I was thoughtful even though the only reason I got the tiara was because someone else was thoughtful enough to inadvertently remind me. And because I was selfish enough to lie and act like I'd planned on doing it all along. But hey, the truth is if I HAD thought of it before, I would have done it. So it's not completely underhanded. And I did run out to get it and spend the money.
I wish I was thoughtful. And creative when it comes to gifts.
"Yeeaaah. That would be grreaaat" (read in the same voice as the boss in "Office Space").
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Don't give it a thought
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment