Friday, December 19, 2008

It's all in a title

First of all, I did stay home sick today. I probably could have made it through the day at the office, but I think I would have been pretty spent by the end of the day and would have ended up sick all weekend. That would be bad since I have so darn much to get done this weekend. So I stayed home, drank tea, slept, ate chicken noodle soup, and cleaned my bathroom. I also caught up R's work so I took a load of stress off my shoulders (which, by the way, still hurt). I still felt a little guilty though.

Now for this post title. Occasionally I check my blog stats through GoStats and see how many (or how few) hits I get. If I'm curious, I can see how they found me in a search engine. I have my usual couple of visitors who come directly here, and then I have "other" visitors. Not that many, really, but more than my usual. They visit once and then move on, because I'm not really what they had in mind when they typed in their search words. That because they find me by searching "Electric Lap Blanket" in Google....and then they get to me. What a disappointment!

I decided the key to a well-visited blog is having references to something that would turn up in a search engine but no so far down the list that it would never be viewed. So it can't be a really popular search (I'll mention Angelina Jolie here, but I doubt it would pop up within the first million hits). Also, if you mention something, well, pornographic, you might attract the wrong type of viewers (congressmen, district attorneys, etc.). I'm going to enter Gustav Mahler here just because I know he is an Austrian composer (and if he's not, don't correct me) and I figure some music student may stumble in.

Last year when I was sick and I was whining about it in my blog, I had lots of "flu" search visitors. Now if you were looking for flu remedies or checking symptoms and you got me, you would wonder about your search engine, wouldn't you? I can't remember the phrase that got picked up, but I think it was something about being sick and tired of being sick and tired.

So anyway, since I'm home sick today I got to thinking about that. I could get lots of visitors if I was good at coming up with search phrases but instead I just disappoint electric blanket shoppers and now music students. So what if you don't want a well-visited blog? Follow my lead.

No comments: