Monday, October 26, 2009

Diplomacy

I've had the challenge of working with people at the technical school who resent having to work with the university. The merger left some people feeling displaced, angry, and resentful of being told what to do. I can't say as I blame them, but if it weren't for the university taking them under their wing, they would be in trouble. I believe it has something to do with now being required to affiliate with an accredited institution, but I'm only a person behind the scenes.

So I've ended up being the one in our office trying to build bridges between the two business offices. A challenge made even greater by incompetence on the part of the new tech "accountant" (she's not really an accountant but uses the title) who used to work at the university. On paper, you would think she would know what she's doing but in actuality, she didn't do well here and isn't doing any better there. University employees with first-hand knowledge of her previous work are losing patience with her. Since I'm newer and never worked with her, I'm a good choice to try to bridge the gap. I don't have baggage and I'm secure in my knowledge of procedures.

I had to meet with her today to go over some things. I don't dislike her but she's someone who I wouldn't want to hang out with. Lots of complaining. Lots of excuses. Very little progress. She made jabs at people from the university and even some of her new co-workers. I think she should watch her step, but I wasn't taking the bait.

Then I get back to my office and a cashier tells me the tech accountant has complained about me too. Says I act like she doesn't know anything. Well, duh! I really don't act like that, but I have had to brief her on procedures that she should know but clearly doesn't or doesn't remember. I'm sure she resents it, and I probably would too. At this point though, that's just too bad.

Funny thing is, I'm not taking her jabs personally. Maybe it's because I know she's sinking and we've got something to get done here and don't have time for nonsense. I also know if she doesn't shape up, her days may be numbered. And if nothing else, she's teaching me a lesson in patience.

Now if you had told me a year ago that one of my strengths would be my ability to be diplomatic and move beyond the disagreements to get things done, I'd have called you crazy. Turns out I'm pretty good at it when I try. Go figure! Give that girl a raise!

No comments: