Sunday, October 4, 2009

Recharging

As weekends go for us, this one has been relatively quiet. We've slept in by my standards (anything past 5:30 a.m.) and I put my feet up on more than one occasion. I've got some housework to do this afternoon, we have a second movie to watch before the DVD's have to go back, and I'm making pizza for supper and spinach rolls for tomorrow night. R will do a little yard work and clean his bathroom. I'll put fresh sheets on our bed. It's all good.

I purchased a painting on Friday night that I'm really excited about. We attended the Friday Night Art Walk at a neighborhood gallery that happens to be owned by friends. The show was new and was by an artist I hadn't seen before. I really liked his stuff but wasn't captivated until I saw the one done in watercolor and mixed media. It was called "Mother and Daughter" and really spoke to me. I had to have it. We decided to call it a birthday-anniversary-Christmas present for both of us, and we bought it. It was just one of those things, and I don't regret it.

The painting will remain on display until the show is over, but that's okay. I have no idea where I'll put it in my house, but I think I'll enjoy figuring that out. I wouldn't call it an impulse buy because I have looked at the Art Walk shows for probably five years now, determined that I would know what I wanted when I saw it. It's not that I haven't liked anything until now, it's just that it wasn't what I had to have. This purchase was from the heart.

We watched "Milk" last night. Wow. Sean Penn was beyond excellent in the role of Harvey Milk. It was like he was no longer Sean Penn. And Josh Brolin as Dan White was also exceptional. I may have to rethink my opinion of the son of the actor who married Barbra Streisand.

We also rented "Sunshine Cleaning" and hope to watch it later today before both of them have to go back. Last night before we fell asleep we saw part of "Dr. Zhivago" which I watched years ago and remember almost nothing about. I need to watch it again to catch the story line. I know at the time I originally saw it, I was so over the moon about Omar Sharif that I wasn't watching the movie. Now I'm trying to figure out why. I mean he's okay, but not over the moon cute. What was that about? I am SO much more mature now.

That's about it. I'm going to do a little work from home because I'm too busy at work to do it there. I have to put together part of a proposal that will go to the university President and I don't want to appear to be too stupid.

No comments: