Saturday, August 30, 2008

So much news

When we last visited, I was trying a new shampoo. Since then, I've enjoyed the pleasure of getting a crown on my broken tooth, discovering I have cataracts, and finding a house that I am strongly considering buying. Oh, and the shampoo thing has worked pretty well too.

First the tooth. My broken tooth got a temporary filling two weeks ago. It fell out after about 10 hours. I got the porcelain crown yesterday and it looks and feels pretty good. My dentist was matching the color and said it was unusually light which I couldn't believe. My back teeth don't seem to me to be unusually white but I'm going to take it. Compliment one.

Then I also went to the eye doctor because I've been having so much trouble with my right eye being foggy. I thought maybe my prescription was off but he says it isn't. He did find plaque on the back of my lenses (my eyeball lens, not my glasses) and said it was a type of cataracts. But he said it's not the kind of cataracts old people get where the lens itself darkens and turns kind of amber. This is more of a cataract for young people. Compliment two? I asked him about a time frame and he said I would need surgery anywhere from maybe 6 months to 4 years, but it's an easy fix and a routine surgery. The young people cataracts grow more quickly than the old people cataracts. Oh well. It's still kind of a compliment, isn't it?

Last weekend I was looking at houses online like I always do and I found a pretty split level in a quiet neighborhood near my mother. It was a little out of my price range, but what caught my eye was the "mother-in-law's quarters" described in the listing. I thought about having my mom go in on it and live with us since she is 83 and kind of wondering how much longer she can live alone. She doesn't need any help at all yet, but for security and companionship it would be a great solution. So I asked her. And she loved the idea. And tomorrow we're going back to the house for a second look, bringing our carpenter to see if there are any problems we need to be made aware of, and reviewing the layout again. The "apartment" for my mother is roomy and includes a living room, kitchen with an eating area, bathroom, and bedroom. It is accessed off of the attached double garage with no steps either up or down to get to it. It also has access to the lovely, shaded back yard with a door and a patio door. The house itself has another four bedrooms and two baths, a sunroom, a deck, a LR, DR, and a large eat-in kitchen. And a full basement. And also a detached double garage. It's crazy. What will be will be I guess, but we're going forward with it to see where it goes. No compliment here, but still.

Today our current house, which is not even on the market yet, was shown to a potential buyer. We found out yesterday that someone wanted to see it so we ran around like crazy people cleaning and getting the house ready to show. I had R pitch the dead plants in pots on the deck because empty pots look better than dead plants. I cleaned and tidied the house and resorted my closet so I could get the pile of shoes off of the floor. R cleaned the basement which had a bushel of cat hair on the floor. I swear, a bushel. We have a couple of unfinished projects here and there but nothing too glaring. I doubt the buyers are too interested though because apparently he is really tall (6' 6") and we are...well....not. I've always said this is a house for short people with one particularly low doorway at the foot of the stairs next to the kitchen. I've never hit my head once, but I've cackled at many taller people who have. Take THAT you giant!

We went to dinner and then to an anniversary party tonight for some friends. They have been married 40 years. We have only been married 30 (almost 31) so they are more the ages of my older brothers. It was fun and we got to catch up with some friends.

I'm just touching on most of the news. See our in depth coverage at 11:00.

No comments: