Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wrap it up

Today was my last full day at work. I went to work in an exhausted state, with a headache that's lasted for the past 36 hours and hasn't let me sleep very well. I didn't have that much to do because I've been in wrap-up and tidy-up mode for the past several weeks. But when you're sleepy and have a headache, you're not at your best.

Yesterday, when I was walking with my neighbor, I told her my plan for my last few days at work was "Shut the F--- Up" or more concisely, "STFU". I got an e-mail from her that said simply "STFU" and I laughed for 5 minutes. It wasn't THAT funny but it shows how tired I am. So that's what I've done this week. I STFU-ed.

So today, my last day, I was tired and STFU-ing. I was also borderline weepy but I'm sure that was the exhaustion talking. I swear if anyone had said anything to me, I'd have bawled.

But........

No one said ANYthing to me. No one said good job, thanks for everything, how about lunch, we'll miss you, or anything else you say to someone who's leaving after 6 years. I took my weepy self home and ate my weepy lunch by myself, wondering why it is that nice gals finish last.

I finished up my day, left 15 minutes early because I was done and not feeling well what with a 36-hour headache and all, and went to bed as soon as I got home. Then I heard my cell phone ringing downstairs and figured it was probably R calling on his way home. I didn't get up to get it. When he got home and started dinner I got up and checked my messages and found it was my boss, leaving me a voice mail telling me good job, thanks for everything, how about lunch, we'll miss you.

I think this time it paid to STFU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww... leaving a job is always hard, even if you hate it! I don't know why. There's always that guilt. Half the jobs I've left, they've all of a sudden been super nice when I left, then I felt like crap for leaving. The other half, nobody gave a damn, and then I felt like crap too. But overall, change is a good thing. You did the right thing. You'll love your new job. : )

Mary said...

Thanks. You're right, it's hard either way isn't it? I feel better and I'm so glad to be moving on.

Really -- thanks a lot.